Friday, January 24, 2014

Interview with Author- Erica Cope



Meet Erica Cope the author behind The Lark Series and, the newly released, Pieces of Me. She was gracious enough to let me ask her a few questions. I hope you all enjoy! And if you haven't yet, be sure to check out her books. I've read them and they are AMAZING. I will share the links at the bottom of this post :-)


What was your inspiration to start writing?

My grandpa used to write poems with me when I was in elementary school. I continued writing until high school but just short stories and poetry. I really wish I would have saved it all! I might have to look for them in my school box that is up in the attic. I always wanted to write a novel but I never knew exactly what I wanted to write about. I’d start a story every once in a while but I never finished any of them. Then one day I woke up from a crazy dream. I couldn’t go back to sleep until I wrote it all down and then the next morning I started writing Lark. After that, it’s been nonstop. I have a file of just ideas waiting for me to get around to writing them!

When did you start writing?

3rd grade? LOL I guess I’ve always been a “writer” but I started writing Lark in Feb 2012.

Who's your favorite Author?

I have to pick just one?! Abbi Glines because she has such an addicting writing style that once I start one of her books I cannot put it down until I finish it. And Autumn Doughton because she has such a poetic writing style—everything she writes is beautiful.

What's your favorite book?

The Princess Bride

What was the inspiration(s) behind Pieces of Me?

I just really loved the idea of learning to love again after experiencing such a tragic loss.

Do you have any upcoming releases?

Komal Kant and I are co-writing a NA romance called Unfamiliar. We are expecting to release it in March. I’m also writing Like the Dawn—the third and final Lark book which I hope to have out in April. After that I’d like to finish a YA romance I started over the summer called Forget Me Not. Oh! And my 6 year old daughter has an idea for a book that I promised to help her write this summer. When she told me her idea, I was actually really impressed so I can’t wait to work on it with her.


Her bookcovers for the Lark Series. Aren't they gorgeous?? 


Here's an excerpt of Lark that is inspired by her dream which the series is based off of-

As the panic sets in, I suddenly notice a strange tingling sensation in my fingertips, similar to the pins-and-needles numbness I feel when my foot falls asleep. Not even thinking about my own possible injuries, I immediately jump out of my car and run over to try to help Brian. He is unconscious, and while he sustained multiple cuts all over his body from flying through my windshield, the most critical injury seems to be the deep gash on his forehead. I check for a pulse, but I’m shaking so hard I can't tell if he even has one. There’s blood everywhere. I've never seen so much blood before and it's making me feel sick to my stomach. I apply firm pressure to Brian's gaping head wound in an attempt to slow the bleeding as I try to figure out how in the world I'm going to get help.
  Since the theater isn't open yet, the nearby parking lot is empty, so no one witnessed our accident. As I sit there trying to figure out what I should do, the tingling sensation in my fingers gets stronger and stronger, making me think that I may have some nerve damage or some other injury that's being masked by the adrenaline surging through my veins. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a familiar truck rapidly approaching us. Oh, thank God.
It's Grey. He will be able to call for help.
He gets out of his truck, running over to where I am sitting in the snow next to Brian.
“Are you okay? What happened?” he nearly shouts.
“I lost control of the car and we hit the telephone pole. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt. I have been trying to stop the bleeding and haven't had a chance to call 911 yet, so can you please do that?”
  I stumble through the words so fast they all kind of run together. He just stands there, his mouth hanging open in shock.  Can't he see that Brian is bleeding to death? I don't care how creepy a guy is, you don't just stand there doing nothing when he is hurt.
“Greyson! Call 911!” I yell at him, confused as to why he’s not immediately jumping to action.
“This isn't good. Why did you have to pick him up? I told you not to.” He doesn't yell, in fact he practically whispers the words, but there’s a nervous edge in his voice. I’m dumbfounded that he’s being such a jerk when Brian could be dying.
“Greyson! Seriously! I can't believe you are acting like this. It’s freezing outside! I wasn't going to make him walk in a freaking blizzard! He is seriously hurt which is why I need you to stop being a dick and call 911. We need help!”
“No, Mia. That's not what I mean. Look.” He points at Brian. “Look at him.”
My stomach drops as I fear the worst, thinking it’s too late. I slowly look down at him. But his eyes are open and he isn't bleeding any more. Like, not bleeding at all. In fact he looks perfectly normal, not one scratch on him. Surely that isn't possible? But it is. Even the gash on his forehead, that mere moments before had been gushing blood, is now a fully healed, faded pink scar. Brian is staring up at me in awe.
“So it's true,” he whispers. He sits straight up and looks himself over. He looks back at me again and then, with a laugh, he stands up and disappears.
What the hell?
“Shit!” I hear Grey mumble from behind me.
“Grey, did you see that? He disappeared. He literally just vanished!” I’m freaking out as I look to Grey for some reassurance that I have not completely lost my mind. But he is obviously freaking out as well, pacing back and forth, mumbling under his breath.
I don't think we are quite freaking out over the same thing.
“One of Dugan's? Impossible. But how else? How did he know?  This is not good.” He continues to pace as he runs his hand through his hair, looking incredibly shaken up while he talks to himself.
“I knew there was something off about him. I'm such an idiot! I should've known.”
“Grey. Who is Dugan? I don't understand what is going on here.”
He acts like he can't hear me or something, “Greyson! Why aren't you answering me? I'm freaking out over here!”
He stops pacing and stares at me for a quick second before rushing over and grabbing my hand.
“Mia, we have got to get out of here. It isn't safe. I'll explain everything, I promise, but right now, I just need you to trust me. Can you do that?”
I nod weakly. He tightens his grip on my hand and the next thing I know, the world spins, blurring my vision as though we are in a bright mini-tornado of Grey’s own creation. You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as you drop over the edge of a steep roller coaster ride? Multiply that by about a hundred. The air warms and suddenly we are no longer standing in the snow on the side of the road.



Also, here is the cover and a teaser for her newly released NA novel Pieces of Me-




“Aria,” he says again, kissing me on the corner of my mouth. It’s as though he’s testing the waters before plunging into the deep end.  He kisses a trail from my neck before returning to the corner of my mouth.
Before I have time to think about it and change my mind, I slide my hands up over his shoulders and turn into the kiss.
Our mouths meet and a wild heat spreads through my entire body, scorching everything in its path.
A moan of pleasure escapes Holden’s lips as I push myself further into him, tightening my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me.
He kisses a hot trail from my neck down to my collarbone. His hands slip lower and his legs press between mine before his lips crash against my mouth again.
I part my lips to release a strangled sigh and he takes advantage of the opening, darting his tongue into my mouth teasingly. Gripping me tighter around my hips he pulls me closer to him, nuzzling his nose against the hollow of my neck. His breath is warm against my skin yet my body trembles under his touch. I think about what he said before, about if I ever kissed him that he would be the last boy I ever kissed.
But the thing is, he isn't supposed to be the one. Somebody else is supposed to.
At once all I can see is Sean's face. Sean's dark eyes. Sean's smile. Sean's lips.
The memory of the boy I thought I'd spend the rest of my life kissing suddenly snaps me back into reality. I can tell Holden senses my sudden tension. He doesn’t completely release me from his arms, but he does take a step back from me so I can no longer feel how much he was obviously enjoying our make out session. Once there's space between our bodies a flood of different emotions crash into me.

Reading these makes me want to re-read her books :-) 

Be sure to "like" her on Facebook by clicking HERE

Here are the links to where you can buy her books-  **They're only $0.99 each!!**

Amazon-

Lark
In the Shadows (Lark #2)
Pieces of Me

Nook-

Lark
In the Shadows (Lark #2)
Pieces of Me

No comments:

Post a Comment