Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: Secrets of a Broken Girl by Mary E. Palmerin



Synopsis:

Lyla Harper's life has always been shadowed. With her childhood full of unpleasant memories that she tries to tuck away and forget about, she succeeds at putting on a happy front and convincing those around her that she is content. But she isn't. 

Meet Lyla Elizabeth Harper, a teen whose journey is less than ideal. She experiences heartache, loss, bullying, but through it all she strives for hope. She counts down the days until she has the chance to start over in a new city, unaware of her past. A city far away from the recollections that have scarred her physically and mentally. 

In this prequel novella to Succumbing to Scars and Sorrow, you will be faced with the ghastly and horrendous events that plague Lyla, starting on the day of her eighteenth birthday, a day that changed her forever. Lyla thought that she was broken before, but she was wrong. Davis Moore, a 22 year old handsome cop and also Rigdon's golden boy, steals something that is irreplaceable from Lyla on that fateful night on Brownsmith Road. 

Others will challenge her will and strength, testing her and pushing her to the brink of giving up.  

Will Lyla be able to trudge through the deep rut that she is stuck in to move to Chicago and start her life over? Or will the evil events consume her and leave her grounded, unable to lead a life free of pain?



Review- (5 out of 5 stars)

    What an amazing book! I was hooked from start to finish. It's a short read so I was able to finish it in one sitting. I actually hadn't planned on starting this book until later this week but I was sucked in by the synopsis and once I started reading I couldn't stop, even a headache didn't stop me. I'm even hurrying through this review so I can start on the next book. So, I'm going to make this somewhat short and sweet.
    Although this book ended at a place that left me feeling content the rest of the story will make you feel anything but. My heart shattered for the situations thrown Lyla's way. She endured so much and I found myself wanting to jump into this book and hold her hand. I'm talking major situations that you should prepare yourself for if you're going to read this. I won't give things away but I will say, don't expect rainbows and butterflies. Lyla's story (so far) is anything but.
    A lot of people talk about author's writing styles and it wasn't until recently that I fully grasped that. Mary's words captured me from beginning to end. She has a way with entwining these words so that I felt myself hurting right along with Lyla. I was so lost in the story that it was like a movie playing inside of my head. At no point did I stop because of a hiccup in the story-line or writing style. I can already tell you that Lyla's story will stick with me for a long time.
    Not only was the book amazing but I keep finding myself staring at the cover. I love the artwork and it even reminds me of the Sookie Stackhouse covers which are some of my favorites.
    Now I will end this review telling you to strongly consider investing in this book, it's 100% worth it.
    Excuse me while I start the next book in the series...

Amazon Purchase Link
Mary's Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment